- 2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup milled flaxseed optional – replace with more oatmeal if preferred)
- 1/2 cup hot water or milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or oil
- pinch of alt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda bicarb soda)
- Place dry ingredients in a food processor.
- Start the engine and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Add a trickle of hot water, slowly, until a thick, firm dough forms.
- Roll the dough 1/2 cm thick. Use a sprinkling of flour (coconut, rice, wheat, whatever suits your needs) to prevent sticking.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into circles 5-10 cm in diameter and place onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 180C for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly browned. (Smaller circles will take less time. Obviously.)
- After removing from the oven, place oatcakes on a wire rack so that
the moisture from the underside can evaporate. Alternatively, turn over
and place back in the oven (switched off) while they cool.